Skip to Main Content

Financial Aid

The Financial Aid Office is located in the Wille Administration Building, Room 104, and the telephone number is 212-650-6656.

Tuition is set by the University Board of Trustees and is subject to change without notice by their action. Students should arrange to pay their total tuition, fees and charges to complete their registration if they wish to be admitted to classes. Students who may be eligible for financial assistance or grants should consult with the Financial Aid Office as early as possible.

Campus-Based Aid Programs

Federal Work-Study Program (FWS)

Students are offered an opportunity to earn wages while pursuing their course of study. Federal Work-Study jobs are available on campus or off campus at an approved public service or non-profit agency.

Funds from the Federal Work Study program (FWS) are offered to eligible students who attend on at least a half-time basis (six credits). Graduate students who are U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens may apply. These are not an entitlement programs; the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), should be filed by March 15th for the following academic year. Applicants for federal programs should consult the Financial Aid Office regarding academic progress standards that are required to continuing to receive aid.

Federal Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education grant program (TEACH Grant)

This is a federal program that provides grants of up to $4000 per year to graduate students who are enrolled in an approved program that leads to Teacher certification in a federally approved high-needs field. Recipients must agree to fulfill a service obligation as a full-time teacher in a high-needs field, at a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves low-income families. Applicants for this grant must file a FAFSA, complete entrance counseling & TEACH Grant Agreement to serve (ATS) and submit a TEACH Grant application to the CCNY School of Education. For details including service obligation and agreement to serve, contact the CCNY School of Education. Maximum awards are subject to review and may be changed from year to year.

Exit counseling is required for students who are no longer enrolled in a TEACH Grant eligible program.

William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan

The Ford Federal Direct Loan Program enables matriculated students who are enrolled a minimum of half-time (6 credits) per semester to meet educational expenses. Graduate students may borrow a maximum of $20,500 per year in unsubsidized loans regardless of income. Maximum awards are subject to review and may be changed from year to year. Applicants for these loans must file a FAFSA and may have to submit a loan application (visit our website for information on how to apply). For details including repayment and interest rates, contact the Financial Aid Office or visit the Financial Aid Office website.

William D. Ford Plus Loan for Graduate and Professional Students

A graduate PLUS Loan is available to graduate students who need additional financial assistance to meet their educational expenses. Students are eligible to borrow up to their cost of attendance minus all other estimated financial aid. These loans require a credit check. Interest is accrued and repayment begins while a student is enrolled in school. Contact the Financial Aid Office or visit the Office's website for more information.


Students who file a FAFSA may be chosen for a process called "verification". When the federal government requires verification, the financial aid office must confirm the information on a student’s FAFSA. Items to be verified include adjusted gross income, US taxes paid, education credits, untaxed IRA distributions, untaxed portions of pensions, IRA deductions and payments, tax-exempt interest, income earned from work, household size, number in college, and identity/statement of educational purpose. Students chosen for verification cannot receive any disbursements until this process has been completed.

Federal Return to Title IV Policy

Students who cease to be enrolled prior to the end of a payment period or period of enrollment (semester), may have their financial aid package recalculated based on the Federal Return to Title IV regulations. The regulations require that the College calculate the portion of the federal aid a student is entitled to, based on the aid that could have been disbursed had the student remained enrolled and the number of days the student attended classes.

The enrollment status used to calculate financial aid eligibility is set either on the 7th day of classes or at the point the student’s financial aid record becomes payable. Updates on Financial Aid certification dates are available in the Financial Aid Office and on its website. Students who withdraw from some or all classes prior to the earlier of those dates will have their aid recalculated and could lose some or all of their aid. If a student fails to begin attendance in some or all of their classes, the unattended classes will not be used to calculate their enrollment status for financial aid eligibility. If aid has been disbursed for unattended classes, the student may be required to return funds, with the exception of federal work-study earned, which will not be recouped. 

Students who officially withdraw after completing more than 60% of the semester are considered to have "earned" 100% of their federal financial aid, and the College is not required to recalculate their eligibility.

If the Return to Title IV calculation determines that the student is not entitled to a portion of the money that has already been disbursed, the College will return the "unearned" portion to the federal government and the student will be billed for the money that was returned on his or her behalf. A "Negative Service Indicator" will be placed on the student’s record until the money has been repaid to the Bursar.

If the calculation determines that the student is entitled to aid that has not been disbursed, the Office of the University Controller will notify the student of his or her eligibility and give the student the opportunity to decline the post withdrawal disbursement. However, post withdrawal disbursements of federal grant aid will automatically be disbursed to the student's account.

To receive a post withdrawal disbursement of loan funds, the student must sign and return the post withdrawal notice, confirming that he or she wants the loan to be disbursed; however, only the first disbursement of a loan may be disbursed after a student has withdrawn.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Requirements

Federal Financial Aid - All students must satisfy qualitative and quantitative academic standards in order to remain eligible for federal financial aid. Students will be measured against the Title IV Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards at the end of each spring semester in order to determine eligibility for the upcoming year. Those who fail to meet the academic standards will have their federal aid automatically suspended until they meet the minimum standards. (Students who can document that their failure to satisfy academic requirements were the result of extraordinary or exceptional circumstances may be able to apply for a waiver to receive federal aid for another semester). 

Financial Aid Refunds

A student can receive financial aid refunds in one of two ways:

  1. A check mailed to the student’s address

  2. Direct deposit 

For safety and security, direct deposit is strongly recommended.

Other Scholarships, Prizes, and Awards

Many prizes, scholarships, and various kinds of commendations are awarded annually to graduate students for their achievements at the College. Departmental awards are listed with the departmental descriptions. For more information on these, see the appropriate dean or chair. Information is also available on centrally administered merit and need-based scholarships. A listing and common application are available on the College’s website.